What is Speed Dating?
Speed dating is the most popular type of singles event!
Our very own 'Date Whisperer' Dani gives you the low down:
Speed dating is the perfect way to meet lots of new people in just one night. The format involves a series of 3-4 minute dates with up to 20 single professionals. We recommend coming with an open mind and a smile! Busy lives result in the need for affordable, fun, safe and time savvy ways to meet like-minded people. SpeedDater launched way back in 2002 and is the leader in the UK singles events market. For tips on what to talk about (or what not to!) see our speed dating tips here!
At the speed dating event
When you arrive, our lovely host will welcome you and sign you in. Your badge will match a table in the room and usually the ladies stay seated while the men rotate about every 3-4 mins. You will have a card to mark down if you are interested in the people you meet. Think of the dates as mini introductions. It’s the perfect amount of time to leave you wanting more, or if you’re not hitting it off then onto the next! There’s plenty of opportunity to sip drinks, chat and flirt the night away.
After the speed dating event
Simply log in with your username and password and click the 'matches' tab. Once you have entered you ticks you will see if you match with anyone. Remember it's FREE to send/read messages to/from all the guests you have met at the event through our secure website. All our events are guaranteed! If you don't meet at least one person you'd like to see again your next event is FREE! What have you got to lose?
Who goes speed dating?
Single and fabulous people just like you. Our database is brimming with “busy professionals” and you’ll be pleasantly surprised by who you meet. Remember that everyone is there for the same reason – to meet new people, expand their social circles and maybe even meet someone special.
Many people find themselves in the situation where lots of their friends are already hooked up, their workplace isn’t an ideal dating environment, and they aren’t interested in drunken fumblings in clubs. Speed dating offers the perfect relaxed and pressure free solution for how to meet new people who are on the same page.
We run events for all ages, plus a variety of niche events like graduate professionals, international, elite, wine tasting, walks and more. There really is something to suit everyone. Click here to view our photo gallery from previous events.
Where are dating events held?
SpeedDater chooses popular and stylish bars with central locations. We are often complimented on our choice of venues – being the largest singles company we get the first choice on the best bars. We always have exclusive use of private rooms so you can flirt in privacy.
How successful are speed dating events?
Pretty darn successful - we find that just over 80% of our events attendees get at least one “match”. We believe speed dating is more successful than online dating because:
- Meeting people face to face allows you to work out attraction and chemistry instantly (no sneaky old photos!).
- Online dating can be overwhelming! Too many options result in people being overly picky and discounting people who they would have liked if they met in real life.
- There is no obligation to chat online, but at speed dating events you must speak to everyone present and give them an equal chance, hence increasing the chance of success.
- It’s easier to lie online than face to face
- Hours of online dating with back and forthing can result in a date which you realise after 5 minutes is not going to go anywhere.
- Really good idea and is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. If nothing else a total confidence boost – ladies go with your mates for girls night out. Aberdeen, Lucy, 27
- I find meeting guys out in bars/clubs hard work. Everyone is p*ssed! Speed dating is a good idea – everyone is there for the same thing. Had a blast! DitzyDebs, Newcastle
- Great night, venue was good, was worried before hand as it was my first time but as soon as it started it was easy. Not cringey at all, had some random chats and people were friendly. Would definitely go again. Reading Ivory Lounge - Steve